Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The country I come from is called the midwest . . .


So I was talking to a friend today, who shall remain unnamed, who comes from up around Indiana, but now lives here in the Lone Star State. She was immensely surprised to discover that I and most Texans generally consider her as coming from a different cultural background than what we have down here, and even more surprised that I thought that there were more of these cultural differences than just between the north and the South. What do y'all think? Is regionalism dead?

(And go easy on the value judgements, we all know where the best place to live is . . .) : )

3 Comments:

Blogger ThePizzaPizzaMan said...

No, I am pretty sure regionalism is live and kicking -- though I think that rural areas are more "regional" than suburban places.

On the other hand, strictly urban settings are very regional (think of how nyc is split up etc.) There are many places where regionalism is alive and well.

I suspect that tv-land is far less regional than people who don't have as much contact with the outside world like CNN or FOX. I also bet that class separation is a form of non-geographical regionalism.

anyway, that's what I think.

10:10 PM

 
Blogger LN said...

I was in class with a girl from Houston, I think it was, who nearly got violent with me one afternoon when I suggested that urban areas were less regionally rooted than rural ones . . . that was a very entertaining 50 minutes . . . it was a good thing she was on the other side of the room.

11:49 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer R. said...

I know from living in Kansas...and Texas...that Texans are a lot more "regional" than most midwesterners. Kansans generally think of themselves as Americans in a generic sort of way; and the fact that they are from Kansas is not all that important, just kind of an afterthought.

Texans, however, seem to be Texans first, southerners second, and Americans third. I guess that's why the Kansans think we're arrogant...hehe...

9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home